The Pitfalls of Summer: Bug Bites

The Pitfalls of Summer: Bug Bites

It’s one of the pitfalls of summer: annoying insect bites. Doctors estimate about 5 percent of the population suffers an insect allergy during their lifetime. In most cases, insect bites and stings can be treated at home easily, except in very rare cases people must worry, but what are remedies, and what happens if you are allergic? In the case of most common bug bites, like bee stings, mosquitoes, and wasp, the most you have to worry about is swelling, itching, and a bit of pain near the sting site, but there are those who suffer an allergic reaction. When it comes to a stinging insect allergy plainfield il doctors say the allergic reaction usually does not occur when the child receives the first insect bite, but when the child receives the second bite symptoms will probably appear.

Identifying an Allergy to Insect Stings

People most sensitive to insect bites may have some allergy symptoms such as:

  • Redness and swelling of the affected limb;
  • Pain or intense itching in the affected area;
  • Hives

Some people may have an exaggerated allergic reaction, called anaphylactic shock, and in these cases the individual should be taken to the hospital as soon as possible if signs like, a rapid fall in blood pressure, fainting, dizziness or confusion, swelling of the face and mouth or extreme difficulty in breathing. Breathing difficulty occurs due to swelling of the throat called glottis edema, which prevents the passage of air. In these cases, the reaction is very fast and there may be risk of death by asphyxia. Even spider bites can cause concern. Most spider bites are harmless, but in case of a sting by a brown recluse spider, which is common in many states, it may be necessary to contact 911, or go quickly to the hospital, especially for children.

Treatment For Insect Bites

Normally, the recommended treatment for insect stings include washing the area, then placing ice on the area for ten minutes, followed by an antihistamine and hydrocortisone cream. It is recommended to avoid scratching the area, as this action can lead to an increase in skin irritation, but this is probably easier said than done for small children. If the swelling increases, it’s best to visit a doctor, especially if stung by a bee so a professional can remove the bee sting. These insects have a serrated stinger, connected to a gland that contains their venom: when they sting, they leave the sting inside the victim, which continues to release the venom for up to a minute. Of course, in cases where there is a severe reaction with difficulty breathing, you should go immediately to the hospital. There are different types of natural repellents that are said to keep insects away, like products infused with lavender, thyme, or lemongrass or citronella spray. However, this will offer very little protection if an individual has an allergy to a stinging insect. The best precaution is having an allergy test, so you’ll have a treatment plan ahead of time.